Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My first hurricane

Well, Ernesto is coming.  This is my first hurricane and I have to admit that I am a little nervous.  I have been through white outs, tornadoes and even earthquakes, but never a hurricane.  Rick went through one while he was in Guam and he is not nervous, so I suppose I should be reassured, but I'm not really.  Our island is so small and the storm is so large.  We have done all the preparation, brought Bridget over here, stocked up on water (both drinking and pipe water), I fixed the storm shutters, stocked up on canned goods, checked all the flashlights, cleaned off the balcony and cleaned the yard of debris (and coconuts!) so I feel a little better.  At least with hurricanes you have some warning.  I helped our neighbor board up windows today, we are supposed to do ours tomorrow.  It is storming tonight, but just regular storms so far.  All the tourists were evacuating yesterday, you should have seen the line of people at the water taxi!  LOL. Well anyway, we are as ready as we are going to get, and even if I am a little nervous, I am ready to meet Ernesto, and even readier to bid him adieau.

*** UPDATE *** The hurricane missed us completely, a little wind and rain but not even enough to make us close the doors.  I have walked to the grocery store in worse weather.  I am glad that it didn't hit here, but a little let down after all the hype.  I will squash that feeling though because I would just as soon NEVER see a hurricane, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Christy,

    I sucks to get ready for a hurricane but believe that these moment are priceless. In my experience such moments bring the community together.

    I followed the storm closely and see that everything is oke with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul, yes, that one had me kind of worried for a minute, but all is well. Everyone was working together to get ready for the hurricane, neighbor helping neighbor, it was a beautiful thing. I tried reading your blog, but my Dutch really sucks, how are things with you?

    ReplyDelete